PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2019, 21:16
Cloud Cutter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TRey
Ignorant seems a little rough. Ultimately, the human has to be the one capture the errors, either by system design or induced. There are some inherently dangerous designs that require a crew to be the last defense. But I cant imagine a single MAX crew in the world that doesn't brief before takeoff...Hey, when the flaps come up and if that trim wheel starts a goin"...then shut those STAB switches OFF! And I wouldn't say MCAS is a design failure...works great, until it doesn't...kind of like my brother-in-law.
Yes, it was a little rough - apologies to reamer. You get my point though - reamer was just saying what a heck of a lot of 737 pilots are also saying and thinking, and it was that mindset that I was commenting on, for which 'ignorant' seems a perfect word (meant objectively, without malice).

Originally Posted by reamer
Well from a pilot perspective, If you know that a 737 was lost 6 months ago due to this faulty system,
and it happens again , and you have been told what to do if it does, and
you fail to do it, then who do you think is at fault? If you answer anything but the pilot, then I hope to never be your passenger.
With all due respect, you miss my point. If an aircraft designer relies on flight crew to carryout an action that ends up being essentially impossible (or very, very difficult at certain phases of flight, given certain scenarios), that is a design flaw - no sense blaming flight crew for that! The fact that all Max pilots were clearly primed for this situation after Lion only emphasises my point - don't you think the crew would have be extremely well versed with what they were expected to do in that scenario? A little causal analysis goes a long way, rather than jumping to conclusions.