PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2019, 12:15
Shackman

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I will freely admit to being a bit of a dinosaur, having started my flying career on an aircraft with no computer assistance, via aircraft that did to finish on another with minimal assistance. Along the way I learnt a healthy distrust of software being written to help my job - most of the time it worked, but sometimes it didn't, with the most common statement seeming to be 'what is it doing now?' or words to that effect.

Now we have a software input which has possibly, maybe even probably caused two major accidents on a newly introduced virtually computer driven ac. Everyone seems to be looking at just the MCAS algorithms, but has anything else in the entire flight control system been added/removed which could give rise to other maybe unexpected but related happenings in the cockpit?

Software engineers have 'improved' incrementally many other non-aviation systems in the last few years - TSB and other banking outages spring to mind, as does Facebook the other day. Who's to say some apparently minor code change has not given rise to something else happening when MCAS trips in.

I ask as an 'interested observer', no longer an occupant of the panoramic window seat.