PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Chief Pilots and the 'Old Boy' network . . .
Old 28th Aug 2001, 20:35
Joystroker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I definetly see the point that holtcj has been making. This is one industry that needs some very good legal input.

I work in the training department of a BA franchise airline and have also been involved in recruitment. I am so surprised and ashamed by the number of people that seem to approve of unnofficial referencing and croneyism.
Advances in training, engineering, regulations, CRM and culture awareness in airlines are the reasons for the great improvements in safety. Approval of this weak practice insults everybody that has worked hard at these areas.

Croneyism is a practice that has been rife in airlines of old. One only needs to mention such accidents as Tenerife North and Staines to prove that croneyism, and complacency in an individuals abilities, is a dangerous thing. This practice must be stopped not encouraged.

This thread seems full of people suggesting that just because of a bad reference from ex-colleagues or an unofficial chat with an ex-chief pilot, someone should not be offered employment. That is not the road that we should be following. To ask for, accept or give an unofficial reference is to admit your own failings.

As I have said before individuals can get bad names unfairly due to personal difficulties at that time, or by making a few silly errors through lack of experience or encountering personal stress. They may not fit in with that particular airlines culture or group of colleagues. A bad reputation can simply be attained by crews desire to enjoy a good old slagging session about anyone but themselves.
I have worked alongside an individual who had a terrible reputation of old - although his behaviour at the time may not have been seen as desirable, he is now - most definetly - a skilled and safe operator, a good communicator and a gentleman. He is now living proof that unofficial referencing is wrong, unfair and most often innacurate.
Another airline with a different approach to training and safety, and a different set of colleagues may reveal a totally alternate person to the one refered to.
For this reason alone the practice of the old boys network is illegal and quite wrong.

HOW DARE SOMEONE DENY AN INDIVIDUAL THE RIGHT TO WORK BECAUSE OF THIS WHOLLY UNPROFESSIONAL PRACTICE.

I do accpet that there are people with hazardous traits that would not suit modern airline operations. However, this should be revealed in other ways than those suggested.
Recruitment should be unbiased and based upon qualifications, experience, apparent willingness to work with the airlines safety and management culture (through observance and questioning at interview - facilitative interview techniques are surprisingly accurate and revealing) along with observed flying, management and communication skills.
If someone lacks ability that was not apparent at the interview stage then this should come out during training.
There should then be other safety stops in place - such as SESMA.
(Special Event Safety Monitoring Apparatus - this works alongside flight recorders recording flight safety violations. For example - too fast through 500' of final approach, altitude busts, overspeeds etc - most airlines assosciated with BA operate this system.)
SESMA will tell a chief pilot how safely his fleet is being flown and will provide crucial statsitical safety information. If an individual is operating hazardously then they will be stopped if SESMA is used correctly.

Airline pilot management should spend their time concentrating on putting this and other monitoring systems in place. They should obtain the skills to correctly select pilots. They should develop a culture within their own airline so they can rest assured of good training and that top rate operating standards are being applied.

If hearsay and rumours are to be used then one day soon the law may just catch up with them.

Getting rid of croneyism is the safe approach, is the right thing to do and is correct by law.
Only then can we all rest assured that the system is fair and based upon our rounded abilities. We will then be much clearer about what is required of us and we can all enjoy safe, long, settled and happy careers.

If you are foolish enough to agree with the idea of unofficial referencing then you had better be damn certain that you will not, one day, fall foul of your desired system.

[ 28 August 2001: Message edited by: Joystroker ]