PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2019, 20:32
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldoberon
Ian I assume you read all of the narratives.

A few quick points from memory
Pilots not being able to usual scan and see what they are looking for
Pilots not familiar with new displays
Pilots not Knowing what the "Maint" msg means and unable to find it in pilots notes
Pilots not knowing what a particular switch labelled SEL was for.

That is abysmal conversion training (classroom and sim) , abysmal documentation and DANGEROUS
If those points are correct then how were they even flying the aircraft? The airline involved is responsible for ensuring conversion to type and should ensure that the crews are trained and tested. If the Boeing difference and conversion is insufficient then Boeing needs to be told. Then surely simple self preservation if you are put into a new cockpit and cannot 'scan and see what you are looking for' not find switches read displays or know what switches are for.... I would expect that crew to not fly the aircraft. That they did indicates something very very wrong at the airline involved. It seems we are starting to see the impact of the beancounters on flight safety and/or perhaps - if you are right either a gung-ho approach from some crews or an unwillingness to stand above the parapet and say I need more training for this one.

More to the point in both cases the aircraft were in good VFR at low level, speed should be apparent without looking inside so there is a visual cross check, the trim keeps going nose down - so switch off stab trim (AFAIK the switches are in the same place in all 73's) start using the trim wheel and fly manually and visually while PM goes through the various memory items and checklists. We know that this approach works as a Lion Air flight before the crash flight did just that and continued as a normal flight.