PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2019, 17:29
wheelsright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putting on one side the fundamental aerodynamic issues and the lack of clarity or coverage in the operating manual. There is no getting away from the fact that there is a major flaw in the MCAS system that allows automation to try to crash the aircraft. It is obvious from the FDR trace that is what has happened. It is true that the pilots could have averted the accident had they acted quickly and with sufficient knowledge, but that does not take away that Boeing and the FAA (and perhaps the Lion Air investigators) are culpable for allowing an unsafe aircraft into the air. The AoA sensor/s and the MCAS system is not fail safe and does not provide adequate notification to the pilots. The general guidelines and practice of duplication and redundancy were not followed for the MCAS system.

It is a sad day for the aircraft industry that it is likely to show that politics has apparently superseded the proud tradition of safety always coming first. It is unforgivable and should not be tolerated. For my part, I hope the matter is fully investigated and those that are culpable face the full force of the law.

Lastly, I would like to offer my condolences to those that have lost their lives and the families and friends they have left behind. It is shameful.