PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2019, 15:23
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RTM Boy
Since risk assessment for safety purposes in any environment needs to allow for circumstances and variables - ie there is no such thing as 'safe or 'unsafe' - it's not an absolute - if you are saying that flight crew can only deal with the MCAS system if a certain (highest) level of competence, alertness, awareness and training, then that is very worrying. It's akin to saying that Top Gun fighter pilots are capable of handling the MCAS scenario we've been discussing, so only Top Gun fighter pilots should be allowed to fly the Max 8. I know I'm stretching the point, but surely flight crew within the bell curve must be able to respond effectively on a model of aircraft with thousands of orders? If not, I have to ask whether the MCAS system itself and the circumstances in which it is deployed has been correctly risk assessed.

Agree in total

However, one question is the training of the pilots to a standard of knowledge applicable to the product they are flying. The pilots may be experienced and of sufficient skills to fly, but have they been given an adequate knowledge for this aircraft ?

These questions are for us to ask and answer, without relying on politicians or bureaucrats