PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2019, 14:45
RTM Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Less Hair
Shouldn't they be on their way already? How long does this need to take? Aircraft are grounded because the crash circumstances are not enough known yet.
Reuters reports 'A decision where in Europe to send the black boxes would be taken by Thursday, the airline said'. This suggests to me some argument between various interested parties about who should carry out the downloads and analyses and where. Perhaps the implications for Boeing weigh heavy on this decision? The same article says 'Norwegian Air said it would seek recompense for lost revenue and extra costs after grounding its 737 MAX aircraft. “We expect Boeing to take this bill,” it said.'

The article also says 'In November, two incidents were reported to the NASA-run Aviation Safety Reporting Database that involved problems in controlling the 737 MAX at low altitude just after take-off with autopilot engaged, according to documents first published by the Dallas Morning News and verified by Reuters. “We discussed the departure at length and I reviewed in my mind our automation setup and flight profile but can’t think of any reason the aircraft would pitch nose down so aggressively,” one pilot said. In another case, the pilot said: “With the concerns with the MAX 8 nose down stuff, we thought it appropriate to bring it to your attention.” Boeing did not respond immediately to a request for comment.'

I sincerely hope this doesn't become a political football with safety-critical decisions being influenced (still?) by the nationality of the parties involved.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-et...-idUKKBN1QU15D