PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2019, 05:41
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4runner
The 737 incurs a pitch up moment with additional thrust because of engine placement and moment. Not because of “lift”. I’m glad you’re working on your multi engine ratings right now and went over vmc factors including accelerated induced flow.
I think you are replying to me but don't know how to use the quote function.
Sorry to disappoint you, but I have 5 type ratings, 10K+ hours, FAA ATP & JAA ATPL.
And as explained more clearly below MCAS has nothing to do with thrust, and everything with aerodynamics.
I suggest you read it, and let me know if you need any more help becoming less condescending.

Originally Posted by FCeng84
Hans - your patience is amazing. You are correct about the relationship between 737MAX engines and need for MCAS. It has nothing to do with the thrust pitching moment!!!

There is a cert requirement that as AOA increases, the nose up pilot command required must not decrease. This is demonstrated at fixed thrust levels so there is no change in thrust pitching moment. The 737MAX issue here that gives rise to the need for MCAS is that as AOA increases the lift provided by the engine cowling that is so large and mounted so far forward of the wing causes a nose up pitching moment that results is a decrease in the column pull needed to maintain a steady positive AOA rate. That characteristic is not compliant with the requirements. MCAS comes active during this maneuver putting in nose down stabilizer that must be countered by the column. The net effect of engine cowling lift and MCAS nose down stabilizer as AOA increases is that the column needed to complete the maneuver does not decrease part way through the range of AOA for which characteristics must be demonstrated. 737MAX without MCAS fails the cert demo. 737MAX with MCAS passes the cert demo.