PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2019, 19:41
FCeng84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MPN11
That post suggests that using the electric trim button (presumably the most convenient practice) generates issues. Whereas, after toggling the stab off, the geriatric trim wheel solves all problems?

Oh, and using primary flying controls instead of autopilot settings, I assume?
Using the electric trim buttons but not fully trimming the airplane to offload column force can lead to progressive net stabilizer motion in the airplane nose down direction as appears to be the case with the last 30 seconds of the Lion Air event. Using the electric trim buttons to fully retrim to zero column force (Lion Air event prior to last minute) supports continued controlled flight. Given the choice between the former and the latter, I choose the latter. Given the choice between the latter and shutting down all electric stabilizer control I would choose to manage the stabilizer via the manual trim wheel for the rest of this flight.

You are correct about not having autopilot once the stabilizer is cutout. Without electric stabilizer control from the autopilot stabilizer offload logic, autopilot functionality cannot be provided.