PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2019, 14:40
meleagertoo

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by nebojsar
And what qualification for you is enough for someone to have privilege to step in b737 cockpit?
When I did my 737 type rating some years ago the vastly experienced CFI told us that Boeing's original design philosophy on the type was that it could be safely and efficiently operated by an experienced Captain and a third-world PPL. I think they pretty much succeeded. Of course the P2's experience counts but if he's been properly trained he's more than capable of backing up an experienced Captain who was always assumed to take the controls immediately an emergency occurred, though not necessarily to keep them if the situation warranted that course of action. Captain fly, boy do. It works.

I find it very surprising that anyone on this variant wouldn't have MCAS malfunctions so close to the front of his mind that the slightest extra clank of the trim didn't shock him alert in an instant, grabbing the trim wheel and reaching (or calling) for either Flap1 or the Stab Trim Cutout switches. How anyone on-type could fly 6 long minutes with trim problems and not tumble to the nature of the malfunction simply beggars belief.

For that reason alone I wouldn't be at all surprised if this particular duck turns out to be a goose.