PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2019, 13:01
Schnowzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi EV,

Let me start by offering my condolences to all involved in two horrific crashes.

No idea about the technical merits of the aircraft but I wholeheartedly agree. With attitude information available and control of pitch and power it is surprising these types of crashes happen. Looking out the window and seeing if the ground is getting closer or further away and where the aircraft is pointing seems to be a lost art.

Like you I worry about true experience, I have quite a lot of hours but in the last 10,000 or so gained less true experience (dealing with new/different issues) than in some 1 hour long flights a couple of decades ago. My experience is now measured by hours and the industry even considers me to be gaining experience (competence?) when asleep in a bunk The standards set in regulation allow for an if you don’t succeed try, try again and you will eventually be successful.

That is jumping ahead, we don’t have the reason for these crashes but if simple procedures and aviation skill in handling a malfunction were contributory, the industry as a whole needs to wake up and realize that the training being given and more importantly the regulatory standards being applied were causal and cost these crews and several hundred passengers their lives.