PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2019, 08:51
excrab

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by silverstrata

Rostov.

I have been wondering about Rostov. Is it possible that the Fly Dubai was fitted with a Max speed-trim computer? I bet they are compatible, because that is cheaper, and Boeing does everything on the cheap. So did an engineer not have the right spare unit, so fitted one from a Max instead? - Not realising that there was a fundamental software difference between the two units?

I wonder because the report said that the Fly Dubai pilots trimmed forward for 10 seconds. And everyone was aghast by that news, because no pilot would ever trim forward for 10 seconds. We were thinking in terms of a health issue, with someone freezing on the controlls. But as it happens, this is exactly what MCAS does - it trims forward for 10 seconds. So was the Fly Dubai fitted with a Max speed-trim computer?

Silver
The issue with your theory is that the Rostov accident happened only two months after the Max first flew and at least a year before FZ took delivery of their first MAX, so it is pretty unlikely that a flydubai engineer happened to find a spare MAX component kicking around in a parts bin and then randomly fit it into an 800.