PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Ground 737MAX
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2019, 16:03
Daysleeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EGAC is Better

No. I think you’ll find it portrayed, maybe with a bit
of
artistic licence, the fact there was a belief in the investigation team that the aircraft could have returned to LGA or made TEB, rather than ditch in the Hudson. If my memory serves, the pilots union representing the crew raised the issue with regard to thinking time required to make a decision. After that, low and behold the sims are re-run and they vindicated (in the circumstances) the crews decisions that the only safe place to go was the Hudson.

Anyway, that’s off topic. I only used it as example to demostrate the humans need thinking time. Time that in some scenario’s will make a critical situation a fatal one.
actually it's critical to aviation safety to recognise the flaws in that film's portrayal of the NTSB and the investigative process. The NTSB were well aware of startle effect, it was planned into the sim profile by the NTSB with zero input from other parties. Nobody tried to stitch up Sully or anyone else for that matter. The movie makers had to fill out a 6 minute event and decided to create a "baddy" so they could meet the Hollywood fantasy of good v evil. It's untrue and needs to be recognised as such.