PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Ground 737MAX
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2019, 12:34
EGAC is Better

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by calypso
But is not critical is it? there is certified procedure that enables the flight to continue safely if it is followed as proven by the flights previous to the crash in the lion air case. In the current accident we do not yet know what was the cause therefore blaming MCAS is jumping to conclusions.
If it isn’t critical, why is it there in the first place? Surely a stall is a critical situation to be in therefore a system implemented as a means to prevent that should therefore be deemed critical by association?

I’m not jumping to conclusions. If you read my post it is very clear in stating that ‘if’ MCAS is the issue. It’s remains to be determined if that is the case but so far, these seem very similar incidents. My follow up questions were related to the McAS system
and whether those questions were relevant to a potential fleet grounding.

I’ve now seen your edit of the original post. If other crews have flown out of this, it doesn’t really help. Can you implement that memory item you mention on climb out from ADD where high terrain is a consideration? Or, is that just going to fly you into another world of pain?

My point is simple and it is not based on this Ethiopian crash. MCAS is a botched implementation of a system which has a single point of failure. That the crew can switch it of is irrelevant. It is there for a reason and just switching it off removes a protection that one can only assume was required to ensure the aircraft was certifiable. Otherwise why would Boeing spend the $$$’s developing it?

Eg. Lets say my car had a flaw where it decided I was driving over a centre line into oncoming traffic therefore it was designed to steer me away from a ‘hazard’. The car gets it wrong and it steers me into a ditch. I don’t just sit around and wait for it to happen again and override it. I bring it
back to the manufacturer and tell them to fix the dangerous behavior of the system. In the meantime they can provide me with a safe alternative. Why is it any different here? Boeing have in effect admitted previously, by their emergency directives, that MCAS is flawed. A ’fix’ has yet to be released by all accounts.

EDIT: FDR’s have now been recovered. It shouldn’t take long now to have some initial hypothesis around the potential cause.