PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2019, 19:02
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

@Gilles
Correct me if I’m wrong, but in the case of the Lion Air accident, from what I understood, an AOA probe fault caused the MCAS to put a forward trim on the horizontal stabilisor, causing a fault that essentially looked like a runaway trim, a situation that a pilot could have recovered from by treating it like a runwaway trim.
I am willing to bet that most of us think of "runaway trim" as a fairly constant uncommanded trim that we didn't expect. The MCAS trim implementation is maybe ten seconds of nose down unless you use the manual trim switch or wheel, then it "rests" for 5 seconds and tries to kill you again!!! So sympton is like "intermittent trim" or basically FUBAR trim, especially if not briefed on the MCAS implementation and realizing that the stick shaker and stall alarm was telling me to push over, but Hal was overdoing it.
The previous Lion Air crew turned off the trim and until we hear their testimpny, they may not have realized that their own plane had MCAS failure. And looking at their FDR plots, it was classic MCAS. just like flight 610 the next day.

@CONSO The flap retraction altitude/procedure for the 737MAX is not in my memory bank Seems that normal retraction requires a trim change in most planes ( Airbus, Viper, Raptor, maybe 777 excepted), but not flying that type I am not sure. In any case, it's a configuration change and that is not a great time to have uncommanded trim you are not expecting or trained for.

For the "shut up and wait" folks!! This is a "rumor" forum, but if I were flying this type I would sure as hell be reviewing everything I could get my hands on about the systems' operation ofter gear up and establishing a stabilized climb, and talking with other pilots flying the beast.

Gums opines....