PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopian airliner down in Africa
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2019, 13:18
silverstrata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fox niner
Whether or not the MCAS is to blame, remains to be seen.
Fact is, that someone at Boeing RIGHT NOW is saying to himself:
“I sure hope that the MCAS has nothing to do with it...!”
The other problem, is not talking about it. I am not on the Max, so don't know if specific instructions were given to operators. But within NG crews there are quite a few who still do not know and understand the MCAS system and its problems. So can history repeat itself? You bet.

And I still have to question the engineers who created MCAS. I can understand MCAS as a cheap (and semi-back-door) stick pusher system. It is far from ideal, but is a software change rather than a complete new system. Money rules, and MCAS was a cheap and simple fix....

However, I do have to question the logic of a pseudo-stick-push that keeps operating until you get full forward trim. Have you tried this MCAS-trim-runaway in the sim? According to the sim, the aircraft is only just about controllable with two gorillas hauling back on the stick (about 40 kg pressure on each stick). And that was in level flight with the CofG in the central position. Ok, now try a recovery from a stall-dive, with a forward CofG, 20º nose down pitch, and speed rapidly building back up to 250 kt. Absolutely impossible - you are doomed. And doomed by an anti-stall system that is supposed to save you. But who in the world would want to recover from a stall with the trim-stabiliser set fully forward? The stabiliser is more powerful than the elevator. Heck, even the Wright Brothers knew not to do something like that.

And I also have to question an aircraft that has not been designed by anyone. The 737 was designed for the 727 (or 707) back in the 50s (the type-certificate is 1967), but since that time there has been mod after mod after mod. Never going back to basics, but simply a series of mods upon mods. It is like driving a Model-T Ford, with a new 300 hp engine and a new dashboard. For instance, the 737 is still the only aircraft I have flown, where the controls cannot be split if there is a control jam. And still it flies...

Silver