PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What About Cathay Dragon?
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2019, 22:37
TSIO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

Originally Posted by kaplan192
I thank everyone so much for the info about KA.
I still have 2 questios on my mind:
1-What are the projected and real upgrade times if you have enough hours for the left seat?
2-What is the REAL salary per month if you fly at normal pace? I wonder how this COS18 made the difference compared to previous years.
I appreciate if somebody can enlight us.
When I joined, it was many years to command, then all of a sudden things started moving and for some it dropped to 9 months (with STC time on type). Last year they just stopped commands for no apparent reason... there was a forecast for 60 IIRC but that ended up being about 10 before the stoppage. Since then about 40 FO's have been through the pre-command assessments and are waiting for courses that were due to start in February but have now been delayed til the end of the year. For anyone joining now, I would say at least 5 years

A COS 12 FO can average about 100K per month gross, we don't exactly know for a COS18 FO because no one has been silly enough to accept such crap. I would estimate around 70K if you fly 75 hours a month; however, don't think that is easy, you will be doing 4 day integrated patterns in China with blank days in a hotel that net 8 credit hours in total with early/late switching then you'll get smashed with a Medan return red-eye flight for 8 hours and be wrecked. If you call sick or if a flight gets upgraded to a 330 or downgraded to a 320 you get the shaft and don't get credit, and remember, its only the last few hours of productivity that make the money so if you do the average hours, which is more like 60-65 you could be down to the likes of 50K gross.

Out of that, take tax 12% for what you're earning now plus 12% for next years bill that you may or may not get in year one.. some are lucky to get it in year two, its random. Then rent in the mid 20K's for something small in DB or TC or 30-40K in town. If you have a family add 20K to those numbers for a 3 bedroom place.

Don't take my word for the cash as its estimated based on the contract, if you are desperate enough to show up for the interview, have a look at the contract and see for yourself at all the ways they can change your pay. If there is a slow-down in flying, you will have a massive pay cut of up to 40%, but don't worry, you'll have less tax to pay