PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Chief Pilots and the 'Old Boy' network . . .
Old 27th Aug 2001, 14:42
lostinBRU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Holt CJ.. Who said this is a fair world? Would you like to give us a dissertation on the selection methods used in your profession? (Whatever that is, and only if you can keep the word count down ).

Having many friends working in the "professions" outside of aviation, I can tell you that in terms of fairness, the methods DVLC advocates are positively saint like.

I don't know who DVLC is or which airline he works for, but the methods he talks about have one outstanding attribute.... THEY WORK!!
I think it may have been Churchill that described our Parliamentary system as "the pits" (paraphrase) but until somebody invents a better system, he'd stick with it. The parallel is obvious.

Like every industry, the odd bad egg gets to work from a position of power. But, the majority of people, the majority of the time, are right minded fair individuals.

The licence is nothing more than the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM required to apply for the job. The ability to fly is taken as given. It says NOTHING about the individual’s ability to mix in the Airline environment. Yours and a few other replies demonstrate that you know nothing about the business or the attributes required to prosper within it.

Even though I have been on the receiving end of a "bad mouth" for my current job, I'm here because, in the end, the individual doing the bad mouthing was discredited. I would still wholeheartedly endorse the method of seeking word of mouth recommendations where available.

If you don't want to fly with a Company that uses these methods as a selection tool, then stay out of the UK. Somehow I don't think we'll miss you.