PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - saluting a Prime Minister
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2019, 18:01
langleybaston

Received 730 Likes on 255 Posts
Melchett, your "................ Wives insisting on being saluted is up there with civil servant claiming to be ‘a wing commander equivalent’ " calls for a little amplification or clarification as seen from a civil servant's point of view.

My experience was narrow, being entirely scientific civil service, in Met Office MoD , usually serving on RAF stations or HQs. I never laid any such foolish claim, and neither did I hear any of my colleagues or staff being so silly. The idea of Equivalent Military Rank [EMR] seems to have been born of a need by the military [I suspect initailly the army] to place civilians in a hierarchy regarding civil/military relations.

An example. The newly appointed Director General of the Met Office announced his intention of visiting RAFG and BAOR Met Offices. Unprecedented to my certain knowledge. As C Met O I was cast in the unenviable role of gopher and bagman. I scuttled along to see my immediate RAF boss, SASO, with the dread news. He asked the obvious question, and the only answer that I could give was that the man was four grades senior to me at least. Thus a posh staff car, a service driver, the VIP suite in the mess, and a lot of tedious office visits for endless coffee and biscuits. At the time I was occupying a Gp Capts OMQ and paying Gp Capts Mess Subs and sitting above all the wing commanders at table. Apart from Mess staff, nobody ever called me sir, and I sirred all Air Commodores and above, of which there were a goodly number.

Far from Met staff getting silly ides, the EMR [or whatever euphemism was used] was necessary for the armed services to cope with these strange civvies. The civvies and their wives gave it not a thought apart from the grim struggle for a good Quarter, although in my previous three overseas tours we were told that if my wife took a job it had to be charitable rather than paid.

The subject of boasted equivalence is bound to annoy proper officers who have not only climbed the greasy pole but put their arses on the line: there can be no equivalence.