PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thinking about quitting
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2019, 05:58
lilpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan09
  • Instructors: ... They all obviously have their own styles, but this I think is more the problem - I've had two different instructors for the navs so far, and I think five or six throughout my training. I'm told to push to have the same 1/2 instructors, but even when I demand it things seem to get changed at the last minute without me knowing, and it almost becomes pot luck who I'll have on the day - not sure if all flying schools operate this way?
  • Other students: I know the names and faces of a few other students, but I don't really feel like I've got any "peers", and perhaps this is an issue. Maybe all I'm experiencing are the stressful parts of learning and none of the more fun parts.
At this stage I'm thinking I'll get the theory exams finished (got a couple more to do) while the weather is temperamental, and maybe go out for an off-syllabus jolly or two before I crack on with the lessons.

Thanks again.
Instructors: having 5-6 instructors for primary training is unacceptable from a reputable school, 2 for nav already? No wonder, you are becoming discouraged and anxious about this.
Peers: Sometimes it's hard to find someone who has the same goals, has the same rythm and focus, it depends on the school and some luck
Exams: you should get this done, perhaps there's some book work to be done before you continue your nav exercise

Maybe, just maybe you could look for a "flying club" instead of a "flying school" now or for the future. You soloed, so in practical terms you have become a pilot, don't give up. It's okay to stay where you are, if you can find an instructor who is consistent, don't let undedicated instructors build time on your dime. It's also okay to search for an instructor who will provide better mentorship and consistent instruction elsewhere.