PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ contract
Thread: Air NZ contract
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2019, 22:27
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by YoungGun117
Thanks for your reply ElZilcho. That is in the region of what I was thinking. It is definitely a bit of a consideration for me, as I am already mid Thirties and haven't interviewed yet. That could potentially mean never having the seniority to get a wide body command or being close to retirement before it happened.
The pessimist would agree with you, but I’ve always taken a more realistic approach.

A320 Commands sit at 5-6 years and I doubt that will change much anytime soon. So, when considering the (local) options, how does it compare to being a career narrowbody Captain at Jetstar/Virgin/Jetconnect? At least with Air NZ you have the option of Widebody SO/FO for some variety if age/seniority precludes you from a Command.

It really comes down to where you are now and where you want to end up. I’ve seen many friends take their Jet time overseas for quicker commands and better pay, several have come home but not all... yet.

None of us really know how the next few decades will play out. I doubt we’ll see Pilotless Commercial Aircraft anytime soon, but Longhaul, Single Pilot cruise Aircraft are a very real possibility and I wouldn’t want to be on the bottom of a Seniority list if/when that happens, especially as an expat in a country with poor labor laws.

Ultimately, if a Widebody Command is the goal, then one must ask “If not Air NZ, then where?”. Personally, the expat lifestyle doesn’t agree with me.