PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in IMC in uncontrolled airspace without radar
Old 23rd Oct 2003, 21:04
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Yes, also very common in Papua New Guinea. Uncontrolled airport, no Radar Service, only FIS. All the same as has already been said. Report position to FIS at every reporting point, take a note of all traffic information that is given to you - and then keep a damned good look-out, if possible. Approaching the airport, give a call that states distance, direction from which you are approaching, altitude and intentions.

Follow up with a call on joining the circuit. All these advisory calls are made on the frequency applicable to the area. That way, all other aircraft should (in theory at least) hear you.

The only times I've had to think a lot about it is working out the likely position at which I might pass some traffic that has been notified to me enroute. Most times, the traffic is going a different direction but, occasionally, there'll be one or more on a track that will cross my track. I do some quick sums and if it looks like it might be a problem (I'm generous with my calculations), I'll always talk directly to that other traffic.

It's all just part of the job.