PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cadet Trying to Fund Training
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2019, 10:08
MaverickPrime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I were you, I wouldn't put down any deposit until you know you can fund the whole course.

You say you are starting in April 2019, but you didn't mention if you have got your class 1 medical yet?

You are unfortunately in the same situation as every commercial pilot that has went before you, myself included. The reality is most people can't afford the integrated course, they have difficulty getting such a large sum of money together all at once and it forces them down the modular route to achieve their pilot licences. I started flying when I was 14, but I'll only just be commencing my CPL this year. You may have to accept that you have to take the modular route to achieving your CPL, it'll be longer and tougher, but in the course of it all you'll prove to yourself if you really want it or not.

AFTA, is a good school, I've considered them for my CPL and I also know someone who has been through their integrated course and is now at Ryanair, AFTA supported him well. However, don't be fooled by the Irish charm, remember they're still a business and they need to sell integrated courses in order to make money, don't be seduced by their sales pitch.

You will struggle to find anyone who will loan you 80k unsecured, I dare say it will be tough even trying to get a secured loan for that amount these days. HSBC used to do unsecured loans for flight training about 10 years ago before the 2008 crash and as already mentioned, BBVA used to do secured loans for flight training, but discontinued that product recently.

All the best, you will have some tough decisions to make soon, but if you really want to be a pilot you can and will get their eventually; with good old fashioned hard work and determination.

MP