PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 787 bounce
Thread: 787 bounce
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2019, 06:11
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by misd-agin
If the gusts were that bad you'd think there'd be multiple videos of planes going around. Airliners don't suddenly nose over, especially at that pitch rate, due to windshear.
Just my simplistic tenpennies worth again...

Those that land on that runway a lot ( LHR 27R) will no doubt testify that with the sort of wind strength and direction on the day in question (i.e. lots from a south westerly direction) it gets very very “bumpy” on final due to airflow over the west base and central area structures. As a result I’d hazard a guess you are not just dealing with aircraft and flight path behaviour due to horizontal gusts and simple wind shear 101 as taught with respect to CBs, etc, there are possibly also issues with rotors, chaotic flow, and whatever else is churned up or shed by the upwind structures...Translated into pilot speak it can get “rough as ****” on finals to 27R in those circumstances, and IMVHO I don’t think it is possible to simply look at that video and then analyse the nature of the airflow, aircraft response and say what is seen is down to any single cause.

FWIW for a few years if the Met was as forecast/observed that day the preferential runway system was junked and landings were assigned 27L to stay upwind on West/base central area and so avoid the turbulence​​​​​.

Last edited by wiggy; 12th Feb 2019 at 08:17.