PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thinking about quitting
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2019, 19:42
Chris Martyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan09
(I'm training for a PPL for a hobby, with no intention of going down the commercial route -!).
That puts you ahead of the game Dan09 ! Flying is a brilliant hobby/pastime , your above statement is your get-out clause and it puts you out of the rat-race , so learn to fly at your leisure !....

I have spent most of my working life working professionally in the airline industry [ but not as a pilot ] and I can tell you that many guys who fly professionally actually do become disconnected with the grass-roots side of flying and it makes them all the poorer for it .
A lot of the syllabus [re: nav.] probably is a bit dated these days , but it is all good gen . The one consolation though is that there are so many electronic tablet devices around these days that make nav. so much easier . But try and digest as much of the traditional nav. methods that you can because they are the ones that can get you out of trouble if you become stranded in the 'CAA desert'.
For my own part ; I found and still do find the traditional methods of navigation to be absolutely fascinating . The one part of my PPL exams that I hated though were the meteorological exams and I still have trouble getting my head around 'Met' now - nearly 30yrs on .
I normally start by getting a 'broad-brush' view on the BBC website and take it from there ...

So don't worry Dan , we're all still learning ,,,,,and when you find the guy who knows it all ? Don't worry ,,,,he's lying .