PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thinking about quitting
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2019, 09:49
Dan09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input. I wasn't expecting so many replies - very much appreciated. Plenty to think about, and also reassuring to know that there other people out who struggled with navigation during training!

Just picking out a few questions/suggestions:
  • Instructors: I don't really have a problem with any of them, though some make it more enjoyable than others (I'm training for a PPL for a hobby, with no intention of going down the commercial route - if I wanted to be berated I would stay in work longer!). They all obviously have their own styles, but this I think is more the problem - I've had two different instructors for the navs so far, and I think five or six throughout my training. I'm told to push to have the same 1/2 instructors, but even when I demand it things seem to get changed at the last minute without me knowing, and it almost becomes pot luck who I'll have on the day - not sure if all flying schools operate this way?
  • Other students: I know the names and faces of a few other students, but I don't really feel like I've got any "peers", and perhaps this is an issue. Maybe all I'm experiencing are the stressful parts of learning and none of the more fun parts. I once had the opportunity to back-seat on another student's lesson (PFLs) and found it really helpful, not just from a learning perspective but also to gauge where I was at at that time in my training. Maybe I'll look for more opportunities to do this. I also like the suggestion re. the LAA - I'll look into this.
  • Aeros: I'd never really thought about this, but it makes sense. My flying school does offer aeros lessons, so I've got myself signed up in a few weeks time to give it a go.
At this stage I'm thinking I'll get the theory exams finished (got a couple more to do) while the weather is temperamental, and maybe go out for an off-syllabus jolly or two before I crack on with the lessons.

Thanks again.