PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia recruitment
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2019, 17:36
Capt. On Heat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m not sure what untruths you’re talking about - VARA (Skywest) can thank the AFAP for Integration. Had that not occurred - what do you think would have happened to the F50 pilots or all of the ATR pilots when they got rid of half their fleet. All of those people still have jobs because of the way Integration allowed for the transfer of pilot in an orderly and fair process throughout the group.

Integration is hardly a wedge - that’s a very simplistic naïve view of how things have worked out.
My apologies for the misunderstanding, I was referring to the integration carrot being used by Virgin (and why wouldn't they) as leverage against every other clause in the EBA (I wasn't meaning necessarily wedges between pilot groups). The AFAP was obsessed with it being included from minute one, at the expense of everything else. As with everything in life, there are many ways to skin a cat and I believe (as I think history has shown) there was a better way to have done it. Due to the AFAP naivety this was scuppered from the beginning.
In any case, VARA can thank SALPA for integration. It's initial form was improved only by virtue of the SALPA efforts and then the majority membership to have it voted in. When the caddy suggests a 9 iron out of the rough, but Tiger steps up and instead smacks a pitching wedge onto the green - the caddy doesn't get the credit.

The F50 pilots had jobs because of their place on the VARA list, the intent of the company, other clauses in the EBA and negotiations with SALPA - not because of integration. To try to imply they would have been made redundant if it wasn't for the AFAP and integration is extremely misleading.