PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A thread to get me over 10 posts
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2019, 03:03
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
I'll trust you FlyingBadge!

In the mean time, I have two Tiger tales:

I was introduced to a customer, and asked to ferry his plane. He would drive me to the plane, and I'd fly it home. He was a kind and pleasant person, a good conversationalist. He owned a Grumman Tiger. I'd never flown one, and was looking forward to a new experience, in a well liked type. As he drove me two hours to the airport, he offered, by way of explanation that he had lost his medical, so was selling his two planes (the other was a PA-18, already ferried). He told me that he remembered sneezing in the evening. He woke up three weeks later, with the doctor explaining that he'd sneezed so hard, h blew a blood vessel in his brain, and was rushed to surgery. They'd removed a part of his brain. The result was that he could only think about one thing at a time - zero multi tasking. So he explained that by self discipline, when he had to change lanes, or stop at an intersection, he would not talk, so as to not split his attention. A charming ride to the airport, and I was pleased to fly his Tiger back for him.

A client, for his spare time project, was rebuilding his Tiger Moth, he'd owned it for decades, but it sat in the back of the hangar for years, awaiting attention. Bit by bit it was beautifully restored. He spoke often about looking forward to flying it again, with that glint in his eye. While in the midst of a Cessna Caravan flight test program for his company, I was on the phone with him. After concluding the Caravan planning for that afternoon, he injected: "By the way, while you're here, I'll have you test fly the Tiger Moth". Very surprised, and somewhat puzzled, I said okay. When I arrived, the mechanics told me that he'd climbed in a day or so earlier, and not fitting, declared with disappointment that its cockpit had shrunk. He walked away in silence. The mechanics pushed it back into the hangar, lacking any further guidance. My client had put on a couple of pounds in the years of the restoration. So I looked it over, strapped in, and the mechanics swung it for me. I had two delightful flights (one snag fixed after the first). I reported to my client that it flew very nicely, and he thanked me. A week later, it was sold, I have no idea where, just gone..... I felt badly for my client missing a pleasure he had looked forward to for so long, but I guess that Tiger Moths were designed for lean pilots!

An odd day, flying a very new, and a very old airplane - contrast in every way!