PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thinking about quitting
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2019, 10:49
AN2 Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan09
Hi all
I'm asking myself whether I really need a stressful hobby when I've already got a stressful enough job. Coupled with this is the fact that this part of the course is time consuming, particularly when you factor in the pre-flight planning.
Maybe the first time I say this to anyone but your post would suggest it may really be a good idea to cut your losses and stop doing something you obviously do not find to be what you expected or which contributes to further stress.

I think the above statement quoted is the one which would make me take a very honest stock of where you are in your life and question whether you will want to continue pursuing a hobby which is quite time consuming at the best of times. Generally, I see a lot of people quit flying even after they have their licenses who fit your profile, primarily for the lack of time and due to the fact that when they can take off time from their job they need to really unwind and relax, not to do something else which may be enjoyable but stressful at the same time.

The question is if you want to finish your license first, as licenses are something you have for life, as opposed to ratings. If you finish the license, you will be able to count your flight hours and license if you ever come back to it after retirement or in a less stressful phase of your life, all it will take then is to revalidate your rating. If you stop altogether before reaching your license, you will most likely find you have to redo everything you have done before if you ever want to come back, theoretical exams for sure.

But if you really see it as you do, another stress added to an already stressful life, I would really consider to take a maybe unpopluar decision and call it a day.