PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thinking about quitting
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2019, 17:51
paulo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Armchairflyer
Know a chap at my airfield who has his PPL for several years now and regularly does just this (on his own), rarely going beyond visual distance from the airfield. As already observed in previous posts, when you have your PPL, a) you can decide whether you just want to be up in the air without actually going anywhere (with minimum preparation hassle except for the technical preflight checks), b) navigation will become much less of a stressful burden and even when going someplace, "looking out the window and really appreciating what you're doing" will soon become the usual state of affairs.
Extending that thought...

...if you like handling, you might just be a sucker for Aeros. A quick lesson where you fly some will tell you straight away if you’ve got that bug in you.

I did.

Whilst I was pleased to manage/scrape through the nav stuff, I knew drilling holes wasn’t my thing (respect, of course, to those who can do complex nav off pat).

So I pushed on with getting the license ‘finished’, knowing where my goal was. After that, Aeros training, stuck to good weather, local Aeros flights, no nav stress at all, and a big grin for the very modest 40 minutes cost.

If it sounds interesting to you, try it once. It could be a turning point.

(not withstanding lots of other equally good thoughts on the thread)