PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR landing: going up in stacks after lightning
Old 5th Feb 2019, 17:06
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
I think the comment about LHR being too busy to let us land falls into the say something that doesnt worry the passengers much and of course while no doubt LH pilots speak excellent English its not their first language . In any event it sounds better than 'we have been hit by lightening and are going around again in case it has damaged the aircraft '

I am sure LH pilots who are large and regular users of Heathrow would never bad mouth LHR ATC intentionally .

If I could diverge into a huge thread drift, the only common thing being a 'surprise' during a landing-I have just come back from Sri Lanka and when the LHR-CMB flight touched down , a nice stable approach followed by a nice solid firm landing , the reversers deployed normally and powered up but after about 5 seconds the brakes came on at level I have never previously experienced and there was a massive deceleration which flung everyone against their belts . i know there are many possible reasons from runway incursion to misjudging trying to make a taxiway but it sure was a graphic demonstration of the power of modern aircraft brakes (A330-300) and more importantly why you should make sure your seat belt is properly fastened , no belt on this trip and you would have got face full of seat back very very quickly .