PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RA Instructor rating before CPL?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2019, 08:19
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
NB, not a reflection on you the original poster but questions on the robustness of the current system.

You can get an RA instructor rating with 100hrs TT and work as an instructor?

And as a RAinstructor you can then train pilots for an RPC (basically equivalent to the GA RPL other than it is only for RA registered aircraft)?

I assume as an RPC holder with an instructor rating you can get nav privileges and control airspace privileges and then can endorse RA pilots for these?

If so basically you can train RA pilots to have similar rights as a PPL (obviously restricted to RA aircraft though) as an instructor with a little over 100hrs total time?

And those RPC students can turn up with their RPC at a GA school and get that converted to a RPL with a check out on a VH aircraft?

Meaning if they have nav and controlled airspace privileges on their RPL, they have a defacto PPL?

Meanwhile, a GA school must employ instructors who would have at least a minimum 200 hrs TT (if they do an integrated 150 hr CPL + FIR rating, otherwise 250hrs min). These instructors can train someone for a PPL (but cannot sent students solo and must be directly supervised by grade 1 instructors) and the school must be audited by CASA and have an AOC that specifies in detail the training standards, recording of students, operating procedures, safety systems, maintenance systems etc.

I dunno but this seems weird to me. How can GA schools can compete - should we pressuring CASA to allow 100hr instructors in GA? Aren't they effectively allowing this by letting RA do this?

NB Meaning no reflection on RAAus instructors - there are really good RAAus instructors who train students to a high standard but if they have instructors with 100hrs TT churning out new pilots that can then do a quick conversion to a PPL from this training - is that right or have I got the wrong end of the sav?

Can GA schools compete against this? What standard of pilots would we be producing? I just think 100hrs is a pretty green pilot, may have great potential and become be a fantastic one down the track but 100hrs is very green to start training other pilots.

A junior G3 GA instructor that requires at least double that TT is usually still a work in progress (again no reflection on G3s - you have to start somewhere and may potentially be fantastic instructors but there is a reason they must be supervised - they still need to build experience and require oversight).

I am sure someone can explain where the checks and balances are in this (eg with how many hours in a RAAus instructor course? What restrictions are there on RAAus junior instructors?)

Am I being overly worried? What do thers think?