PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ contract
Thread: Air NZ contract
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2019, 04:49
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by dluxx
Hi ElZilcho, thank you for the time you took for your detailed reply. With that additional information and some basic math from the Wages Compilation thread, it appears the numbers are pretty much a wash between Air NZ and Virgin / Jetstar (AU). Depending on the exchange rate it could really go either way, but not by much.

So as you rightly say it comes down to lifestyle, and what's an extra $10k a year worth if all you want to do is sit in a dark room with a wet cloth over your eyes... However, I'm not even sure I could afford a room in Auckland to do that in! Has the trans-Tasman rivalry got that bad it's reached real estate too?? Never would have thought it possible, but Auckland at the very least might have edged east coast Australia for Cost of Living.

I find myself in a somewhat unique position - parents from both countries, but most of growing up in Australia. Wife is Australian. Her family is all in Aus. For me, I know I could be happy in either country but happy wife, happy life...

If I were to get offers from all interviews then I know I'll have the full paperwork in front of me but geez... What a problem to have!
Yea, at a glance the number looks similar but in reality, after factoring in allowances and incentive pay, the Legacy carriers win. For example, a 777 SO doing 85hrs can add around 30% of their base as incentive pay. An A320 FO flying 75hrs would add about 20%.

Admittedly, I'm not all that familiar with the contracts over in Aus, and the pay there is generally better than NZ. So comparing one of their LCC's to Air NZ might be a lot closer, but having flown for one of their NZ based Airlines in the past, I too weighed up joining the Koru Vs taking a Command where I was. Ultimately, I made my decision based on working conditions, job security and multiple fleet options but was pleasantly surprised that the pay increase was more than I had expected after all factors were taken into account.

As for housing, get on a Widebody and you wont have to live in Auckland. You could live anywhere in NZ so long as you have a solid plan to get to work. Even on the Airbus people commute from Hamilton, Tauranga, Rotorua etc and there are also Domiciles in Wellington and Christchurch. Interviewers might hint you need to move to Auckland, but you don't.