PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ contract
Thread: Air NZ contract
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2019, 03:00
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The CEA is nearly 200 pages and is accompanied by another 100 or so pages of CSR's (Crew Scheduling Rules). I don't mind posting basic information (most of which is already on here) but have no intention of sending the Documents out over the ether. Call me paranoid, but NZ suffers from a sever case of tall poppy syndrome with a strongly bias left leaning media.... just look at what happened to our Engineers recently. A media induced lynch mob because the dare earn more than the average wage

In terms of Air NZ vs QF, the real question is, where do you want to live? It really is that simple... although it's not that difficult to commute between to two Countries if you're on a Widebody. Compared to J*/Virgin then it should be a no brainer. Legacy Carrier wins hands down for T's&C's while the other might get you a quick command to take overseas. That being said, an A320 Command at Air NZ is ~5 years at the moment, not sure about Skippy, but I doubt you'd see an East Coast 737 Command in less than a decade?

Some basic information however:

Salaries are already posted in another thread so I wont repeat here. What's not posted however, is there are 2% increment steps from Years 1-8 and 1-12 for Captains.
Incentive pay above 60hrs with 3 steps (60-75. 75-90, 90-100)
Minimum 10 Days off per 28. There are clauses to dip below this dependent on fleet with requirements to make it up later.
"Grey" days for days off in excess of 10.
A plethora of rostering rules to aid in lifestyle. Too many to list, but there are limits on consecutive early starts, duties past midnight, domestic vs international vs mix. Home rest Matrix based on TOD's etc etc
Annual Leave - 28 Days Per year + 6 Days to compensate for working weekends + 11 Public Holidays which can be converted to Leave. You get an extra 7 days per year after 20 years service.
Kiwsaver (Retirement) contributions up to 7.5%

It's all the little things that add up to make Legacy carriers a better Lifestyle than the LCC's. Many Pilots forget about this and simply look at money/time to Command, while many Legacy Pilots have forgotten (or never knew) what life's like without them.