PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CNBC: FAA halting flights into LGA due ATC staffing
Old 25th Jan 2019, 16:34
250 kts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Una Due Tfc
I'm absolutely staggered this is allowed to happen in the western world. I get the politics of it, but when it comes to a number of occupations such as ATC, FBI, Coastguard among others it puts lives at risk.

If for example 2 aircraft collide on intersecting runways due a bum clearance being given by a controller who is fatigued due not getting paid and either being up all night worrying or driving an Über, who is liable?

Or if the person at the scanner misses the knife in the carry on luggage because they can't keep their eyes open.

Madness.
Ultimately it's down to the licence holder to declare themselves fit or not to work. I would suggest that a lack of sleep due to worrying how to pay this month's mortgage would suffice to declare oneself fatigued and therefore unfit to carry out licenced duties. The irony would be if they all turned into work and then declared themselves unfit for operational work but OK for "office" stuff.

Last edited by 250 kts; 25th Jan 2019 at 18:32.