PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Director distraction during recovery from an unusual attitude
Old 23rd Jan 2019, 15:15
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks, Golden

My prolly tiny problem is "what is the FD directing you to do?" Somebody has to tell the thing what it is you should be dong, right?

My SLUF had a FD for instrument approaches, basic nav and terrain following. The ADI had needles and the HUD had a little symbol ( tadpole) that you were supposed to center within the flight path marker. In those old days when the earth was still cooling, but solid state avionics were emerging from eggs, the ILS and TACAN "directions" on the ADI were not heavily dampened and you would wind up doing "s" turns that got smaller and smaller. The HUD "tadpole" was not as bad. In all modes we had the raw vertical deviation for ILS and left-right for INS NAV, TACAN and ILS. To wit, from the Manual ( FCOM for the commercial heavy pilots):

Anyways, thanks for the education from you and many others here. I was blessed to fly a variety of sophisticated systems and in between I had a few years in the Dragonfly with minimal avionics, no computers and basic "Cessna" flight controls.

Gums sends...

Last edited by gums; 23rd Jan 2019 at 15:21. Reason: formatting