PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MoD may destroy Mull of Kintyre Chinook crash records
Old 22nd Jan 2019, 14:28
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation MoD may destroy Mull of Kintyre Chinook crash records

Well, I never thought I would be posting here again so hello, and Happy New Year, to all who may remember me.

This year sees 25 years since that terrible crash and it would appear that the MoD are considering disposing of all records relating to the crash and subsequent 17 year campaign to clear Rick and Jon's name. There is an article in the Scottish Times about this (can't link, sorry).

I don't feel the need (or desire) to revisit the crash and campaign itself as I feel that everyone has rightly moved on, but am seeking support in ensuring all documentation relating to this sorry episode is retained in the National Archive. To that end, I have raised an on-line petition and would seek your support. If you feel the urge, may I also ask you to send the link / write to your MP and make them aware. The petition can be found here:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...cVXGrUSykC6kMc

Wording of the petition is:

My petition:

Ensure ALL records relating to the Chinook crash in 1994 are archived at Kew
The Chinook crash on the Mull of Kintyre, on 2 June 1994, resulted in the loss of 29 souls. The pilots of the Chinook were wrongly blamed for the accident, resulting in a 17 year fight to clear their names. It was eventually proved that the MoD had wrongly blamed the deceased pilots.

This 17 year miscarriage of justice brought about immense public support, several Parliamentary debates in both Houses, EDMs, reports from the National Audit Office and countless items of correspondence to, and from, the Ministry of Defence. Collectively, this is an important record of MoD, and RAF, failings and the loss of this would be detrimental to providing important learning opportunities for future military leaders.
---------

Please forgive my intrusion on the Forum. I assure you all that I have no intention of becoming the Irritating Sod once again! This is just a short spell back in the spotlight.
My best to you all, as always.
Brian