PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2nd series of ATPL ground school, is it worth pursuing a pilot career?
Old 16th Jan 2019, 08:26
ollie135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@pilotuser345,
If youre 26 and worried about paying £100k back then don't worry, the solution is to go modular and almost half those costs. You could even continue to work whilst you redo your ATPLs (shouldn't take nearly as long 2nd time around) and hourbuilding etc before taking out a £30k loan for the CPL ME IR+ MCC, surely that is much more manageable. You`ll still be finished within the next 2-3 years and be applying for commercial jobs before you turn 30 as opposed to 29 (judging by the holds in L3/CTC training at the moment as a rough guess). Perhaps speak to the `Wings Alliance`, explain your situation as see if they can offer you some advice.

What I meant by my few extra years statement is that if youre a qualified commercial pilot with a reasonable personality and the market holds up then you will still most likely end up at an airline, even if its abroad. In the meanwhile you could instruct, do survey flying, bizjet flying etc etc. I know the pay isn't as good but you`ll have less debt from your smaller modular loan so will be able to take the pay cut. If you really want to be a pilot then that's great because you'll spend a few years getting some more hand flying under your belt and enjoy it, if you just want to fly a shiny jet straight out of flight school then you may be disappointed.

Truth be told I don't know which airlines are fussed about first series passes, perhaps you could give Jet2, Flybe, West Atlantic, Loganair, Ryanair, Thomas Cook a call and ask? I`d be very surprised if they all say first series only. I don't know what you situation is regarding flight schools but I suppose you could always throw £100k of borrowed money at L3/CAE etc and hope you get picked up by easyjet etc.

Hope that`s some use but do please bear in mind that it is just my opinion.