PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When do you switch to visual on approach?
Old 15th Jan 2019, 02:29
Cralis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When do you switch to visual on approach?

(Not a pilot, so please excuse if I make errors or the question is stupid, but...)

When in clear weather, but performing an ILS approach, is there a specific moment where auto pilot gets disconnected (Maybe dependent on airfield and STAR?), or is it up to the pilot flying or captain, as to when the AP can be disengaged?

And then, when does the pilot flying switch from following the flight director / using the glideslope/localiser indicator, to looking out of the window, and focusing on the PAPI lights? (Or VASI... I hear both names). Basically, when does the pilot 'ignore' the ILS indicators and and 'DIY'?

I'm 44 now, but I recall a wonderful day where I got a full flight, takeoff to landing, in the jump seat, around 25 years ago, and I recall one pilot saying to the pilot flying on approach, 'Watch the glide slope', and the PF answering back with, 'I'm visual'. So it seems there no set point, and it's up to the PF. And he doesn't need to tell the other chap that he's ignoring instruments.
(It was a while back - I'm not sure those were the actual words, but it was the idea of what they were saying).

I hear a callout by the aircraft (I think), saying "Minimums". Maybe that's the point? I've never been sure what that callout means. It sounds scary. And then I think I hear the PF saying "continue". Not sure if this is related.