PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unbelievable - family forced to sit in the aeroplane floor
Old 13th Jan 2019, 21:17
CargoOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nicolai
Other airlines have prohibited me from sitting on the floor for part of a flight, because I could not reach an oxygen mask from where I was sitting (I had a seat, but felt like sitting on the floor for some different rest).

Exact ops manual procedures may vary between airlines, but if "no ready access to an oxygen mask while seated" is the reason I couldn't sit on this other carrier, then TUI are probably in hot water with the CAA.

Yes, of course you're not near an oxygen mask when you're moving about the cabin to go to the lavatory or whatever, but you shouldn't be moving around for too long, and once up and moving you can keep moving towards a spare mask if there's a loss of pressurisation. The lav, of course, has masks.The issue at hand is the length of time you're exposed to the risk of being more than an arm's length from a mask.

Here's a link to a non-Daily-Mail source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46858249
I am not familiar with this TUI 757 but looking at the space available (wonder what it the purpose? too much for dog cages) I would not be surprised if there are oxy mask available there. But anyway if not they were accommodated at CC seat which has oxy masks for max occupancy. If adults of this family would be our/other recognised airline employees (which is very broadly defined, no need for Medical Class X nor valid evac training on a type required) we would seat them on a jump seat no problem. But not a fare paying passenger.