PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low-Timer employment NZ ?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2019, 22:42
scrum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The cost of flight training is a major issue, particularly since changes to the student loan scheme for aviation courses came into effect about 10 years ago,” said Robinson. "Previously students could borrow the total cost of their flight training; now there are caps on borrowing. These changes were specifically intended back in 2008 to reduce the costs to government and reduce demand for flight training.”

NZALPA and other aviation industry groups now want the Government to reconsider this policy in light of the strong demand for pilots. The current situation limits who can take on the expense and prevents a more diverse range of candidates from considering flight training. "Many doctors and dentists graduate with large student loans, but the difference is that they are usually directly employed at the end of their training without the need to self-fund hundreds of contact hours like pilots require. Most pilots have to get those hours up while working other jobs at the same time to pay their bills and trying to service their student loan," Robinson said."

I gained my CPL in 2008 just before these changes took effect. Of the people I trained with, I would guess that less than half actually went on to get jobs and forge a career in aviation.

I think that many, many people signed up for flying lessons because it was so easy to get funding and flying sounded like a fun thing to do. When it came to the business end of their training and they had to go out and look for a job, things turned pear shaped. They put in a half-arsed attempt to find work and when a job didn't fall into their laps they gave up and moved on. Those who were successful were the guys who had a proper interest and passion for aviation. I was amazed that some of the guys I trained with couldn't tell an Airbus and a Boeing apart. Those of us who had a bit of avgeek in us, the ones who could see themselves doing nothing else for work but flying, were the ones who worked hard and gained employment.

The government would be foolish to ease the restrictions on student loan funding. If you're serious enough about making it, you'll do so regardless of where the funding comes from.

Also, comparing pilot training to that of doctors and dentists is ridiculous. Medical training requires consistent hard work and dedication and if you don't measure up you're scrubbed from training. Back in 2008 there was one guy at flying school who was sitting his PPL exams for the third time and hadn't gone solo after 25 hours. Fat chance of him being kicked out - the flying school was only to happy to accommodate his ever-growing student loan balance.