PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-18 lightning strike
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2019, 03:25
WhatsaLizad?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tdracer
Shortly before I retired, I was observing a flight test on a 767 when we took a lightning strike during our descent to Paine (i.e. Everett). I was in the flight deck observing EICAS indications for my test when it happened - it didn't literally scare the crap out of me, but it came close
Based on the post flight inspection, it attached near the cockpit and exited at the wing root - doing a fair amount of damage to the (composite) wing-body fairing.
TD,
We took a strike after T.O. in IMC flying a 767-300 a few years ago. I'd swear from the flash and the boom, like a .45 Cal discharged in the cockpit, and that it hit the wipers 3' in front of our faces.
Immediate post strike actions were to fly and assess any damage. I then announce we lost VHF with departure control and to try the #2 VHF.
Fortunately, I was flying with a very observant FO who said, "CA, you flinched and hit the VHF TXFR switch, switch it back to Departure control.".
Emergency over, I reaffirmed my command authority by calling for the After Takeoff/Climb Checklist.