PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Chief Pilots and the 'Old Boy' network . . .
Old 31st Jul 2001, 20:18
Wig Wag

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Cool UK Chief Pilots and the 'Old Boy' network . . .

A short while ago, whilst in casual conversation with a board member of a UK airline, it became known to me that the Chief Pilots and Ops Directors of the leading UK airlines have regular consultations and meetings.

Fine. There are common operational aspects of airlines (aside from commercial issues) which can benefit from discussion and understanding. My interest is how we, as pilot employees, are affected by this unofficial concord.

For example, are salary levels and recruitment discussed? Would the Ops Director of 'Airline A' reveal to the Ops Director of 'Airline B' that 'Pilot X' has applied for a job?

Is CAA regulation discussed? I understand that the CAA have a proposal to restrict CAP 371 with regard to early starts. Presumably the commercial departments of airlines oppose this on cost grounds. Might our chiefs co-ordinate responses on this and other issues?

I would be interested to hear some comments; I would like to know if these gentleman have more political control over our lives than they have right to.

[ 31 July 2001: Message edited by: Wig Wag ]