PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safest airline is Finnair or Qantas ?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2019, 04:11
FlightlessParrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerosene Kraut
If we are talking about the same german flight safety bureau doing these rankings every year, I wouldn't take their's overly serious. Homebrewn self-made statistics. Using some very questionable statistical standards and methods. Although they changed their system some years ago they still are more hobbyists than researchers. They make a living from selling "safety expertises" to individual travelers. Like aunty Else going to the baleares islands wanting to know the "safety ranking" of her airline.

Here is some more robust safety information to be found:
https://aviation-safety.net
The Aviation Herald
Those two sites are well-known, but as far as I've seen, they don't help with choice of airline. Let us leave out cheap cracks about Aunts going to the Balearics, and consider a real question. Suppose someone is travelling to and in the PRC. Chinese production and services range from exquisite near-perfection to cynical crap; a potential traveller would be glad of information on where any particular airline sits on that spectrum. Not whether they're 2 or 3, or 16 or 17, but crudely whether they're ok or a bit dodgy. Or. perhaps, there is a floor under the quality of Chinese airlines, so that even the least good ones are quite decent: it would be reassuring to know that. Similarly, I assume there are some decent airlines in Africa: there would be real value in even a rough guide there.