PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birmingham-7
Thread: Birmingham-7
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2019, 21:48
OltonPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GayFriendly
Great post Rutnan16 and couldn't agree more re. AI. Get DEL back to daily rather than an operator with no long haul experience and who would probably up sticks to LGW as soon as the slots are available...... Gulf Air are rumoured to be looking at long haul expansion as are Saudi. Both have potential at BHX (indeed Gulf Air very nearly arrived at BHX in the form of Gulf Traveller using 767''s to AUH but pulled out at last minute). Not so sure about Oman, they have struggled with MAN loads although they are improving now.

Off the wall, I wonder if Scoot would work to SIN? Surely enough leisure traffic to go round despite SQ ops at LHR and MAN?
I agree, good post as ever Rutan16 but I must admit pressurizing AI made me smile a little, can you imagine trying to deal with anything to do with aviation in India!!!!!!!!! Also I don't think BHX need any encouragement to talk to anyone in the long-haul business (although not too successfully recently), they seem to forever on the road but I get the impression short-haul they are not so keen.

Anyway tomorrow sees a new broom and will he (Nick Barton) sweep clean or just tow the shareholders line more than ever. The good news is at least someone is in the hot-seat and what a hot-seat it is - MAEL gone, Flybe up for sale let alone the B word. There should be some interesting staff meetings in the next few days and I am sure his feet will not touch the ground this month.

Indigo at first glance don't offer much if it is a one-stop Delhi where if any destination is needed it would be Mumbai. I am also not so sure any other Gulf flights are required and as long as Qatar stay, I am sure restoring the early morning Emirates will be a priority although 2 x 615 seat A380's seem to fit perfectly at the moment.

The real tough one is convincing any airline to go west especially a summer Toronto which is inexplicable and the old boring argument that it is a dying market s in my opinion a far too simplistic excuse or due the offering to the north and south of BHX. It is a tough ask to persuade an airline to operate BHX-YYZ but with the new, more efficient narrow-bodies it should be possible, difficult, but possible.

In other news, BHX seems to have come off fairly reasonably with the latest TUI changes from one of BHX's star airlines although the loss of Madeira is a shocker and as it was a Monday flight, tomorrow sees as many long-haul as short-haul flights (2 each), as it has not been replaced. Note, it has gone permanently leaving a gap in summer 2019 as well but still get an extra based aircraft but some further changes .

In keeping with past years Agadir is chopped before it starts this summer although it is bookable in winter 2019/20. The Thursday slot is replaced by Fridays Antalya which I think was Freedbird. The summer 2019 Monday Enfidha which is new now operates back into EMA so out for the day but overall still a stunning schedule. There are also some cuts in the next few weeks until February half-term which were late but understandable.

The aircraft CRJ-1000 (CRX's) are bountiful from tomorrow with Brussels Airlines now using these and SAS Copenhagen on the evening flight.

Qatar have moved the Friday flight from morning to afternoon for summer which I presume is for connection purpose.

Wizz Poznan finished Saturday and the route is now not served and no sign of the Harps taking this one but at least Cluj is up and running.

Flybe start their reduced schedule tomorrow but still a creditable 48 flights and no doubt Mr Barton will be keeping a close eye on what happens with them.

In really will be after the Lord Mayors show for the next 5 weeks after a fantastic holiday period with TUI 789's and the 744 on the Friday Cancun, extra based Ryanair, Newquay and Nantes operating for Flybe plus masses of extra Jet2 and even Thomas Cook joined the party. However most have now ended although FR are still 4 based tomorrow but Thomas Cook has just one flight outbound.

Pete