PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birmingham-7
Thread: Birmingham-7
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2019, 16:28
Rutan16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like they are going to try to do something similar to the Air Blu fiasco one stop narrow body flexible fares and limited connectivity - Competing with a much larger incumbent flying larger and more frequently directly to their Sub continent Hub with extensive regional connections beyond.

Oh and their preferred UK Airport is already known and it’s on the Surrey and Sussex fringes and subject to gaining sufficient and useful slots.

I think the sales team at Birmingham would be better placed in pressuring Air India into restoring Delhi to daily nonstop at the earliest opportunity imho.

They could also do well in targeting further sandpit operators specifically either or both of Oman or, Gulf Air - they are about to recommence some long haul expansion I believe - One to win over Manchester imho.

There are still issues at a political level in India that kibosh meaningful international expansion from their flexible fares and low cost business model carriers beyond the opensky’s migrant worker sand pit routes.
This is combined with antiquated seating capacity limits instilled in many of their bilateral agreements rather the frequency limits.

BTW this has a nasty habit of back fireing because each time an Indian carrier ups their seating offerings into the UAE , Emirates matches it pulling even MORE of the valuable long haul market via their desert hub !

Final thing UK -India has a high level of imports in the belly of those Widebodies that simply can’t be carried in the 321LR or 738 maxes.

I think those are better used and were designed for use within inter Asia and US transcontinental operations and as a sideline shorter EU/UK - Eastern Seaboard routes. They really aren’t suited to Sub continent- Western Europe imho , though will reduce costs across the northern Indian Ocean routes without doubt.

Last edited by Rutan16; 6th Jan 2019 at 16:45.