PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safest airline is Finnair or Qantas ?
View Single Post
Old 4th Jan 2019, 04:00
FlightlessParrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by readywhenreaching
Each time in the new-born year I'm staggered seeing two worlds collide.

In World1 there is a change on top Finnair displaced Emirates as the first airline in the world

Whereas in World2 it steadfastly stays all the same https://www.traveldailynews.com/post...ntas-is-on-top

Can anyone see through this without becoming a non-believer in such ratings at all ?
I'm not sure what the problem is. Those ratings include some things that are easily (fairly) measurable, like safety records (should it be fatalities per passenger-kilometre flown, or per passenger take-off/landing, or per aircraft-kilometre?--but still, they're countable); and some things that involve a measure of judgement. Since the safest airlines are all very safe, the differences between the top ten are going to be very small indeed, so there's going to be uncertainty about the precise ranking, and whether an airline comes out at, say, number 3 or number 5 is pretty meaningless for a punter buying a seat.

Long ago, I remember a comparison of airlines based on the insurance premiums they were charged; that wasn't perfect, because very large airlines, apparently, got a discount just on the basis of volume, but still, insurance companies are professionals at risk. I don't suppose that information is available these days.

Or have I missed the point entirely?