PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prestwick-2
Thread: Prestwick-2
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 12:29
Rob Royston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by INKJET

There’re not really political statements, the problem is that all major infrastructure projects are political one way or another.
The simple fact is that PIK would have gone by now had not the ( Scottish ) state stepped in.
Airports don’t work without passengers, this just looks like poring good money after bad, please tell me I’m wrong.
To paraphrase a famous son of Ayrshire, Bill Shankly, "Prestwick is not just a matter of profit and loss, it's far more important than that".
Airports can work without passengers, from what we hear it's the passenger side that is causing Prestwick's losses.
When an oil company has a crisis thousands of miles away and the heavyweight solution is in Aberdeen, you can either truck it down to an English airport or send it from the only Scottish airport that has the capability to handle it and a runway that will provide the range. If the crisis is in the North Sea and the equipment is in Houston it could be critical that a heavy freighter, or freighters, can be landed in Scotland. I've been on the receiving end of equipment lifts like this myself, so I know how important they are to the clients.
Seafood freight cargoes could form the backbone of a Scottish freight hub. I imagine the current Scottish Government have this in their vision.