PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air collision of 3 international flights averted over New Delhi!
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 10:01
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
250 Kts :
It wasn't meant literally!!
I did ! hence my sarcastic response. Sorry !
ICAO may not prevent it, but history has proved it is bad practice and should be "trained out" of the system.
Absolutely , I do not know the reasons/objections why it has not passed the ANC doc4444 changes..but phraseology regarding refusal requests should be adapted and universal,. There are lots of improvements needed in answering requests , e.g. the US/FAA uses " maintain" as clearance to climb/descent for instance , while we in Europe use it to make sure the aircraft is not climbing ...

Birdspeed :
ATC Watcher, before the introduction of GPS, aircraft would quite often be a few miles off track. No one minded then. Airways were 10nm wide. Now with GPS,RVSM we have increased the chances of a midair by a large factor. We must act now before we have another midair/wake upset. ATC must adapt to random offsets.
Before GPS there were inaccuracies preventing heads on but also a lot of accidents and CFIT when following VOR radials..
why not offset ?
OK, here we go again . I try the shorter version ( once more ) : ATC can accommodate embedded ( i.e not manual) 0.1 NM offset to the right without any problem . After the collision in Sioux Look out , Canada, in 1995, IFALPA campaigned in the 90s for it, I was involved in this . Could not pass ICAO for many reasons , main was the mathematical model showed increase in collision risk in crossings, then not all FMS/ PA working the same in turns ( still a problem today btw) and when to start /stop the offset , especially to make precision APP. In Sioux look out the 2 aircraft collided head on one was departing the other was on App. to the same fix. So we lost the argument. Anyway those were old times , now with RNP and routes/tracks separated by 5NM , not a chance to have the embedded or random offset debate again .
As 1985 correctly said above, the future is based on nav accuracy and the flavor of the day is capacity , less delays , more aircraft in the air in same airspace. So RNP is here to stay and offset is old news.