PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS long haul EBA
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2018, 08:00
theheadmaster

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rated De
The issues are related and not mutually exclusive.
Given as you state they remain employees of Qantas, who then do the AIPA committee members ultimately give account to? Who then does the AIPA executive give account to, the paymaster or the membership? If the prima facie relationship is that with pre-existing conditions (IE deference to the employer) at best, the outcome which you allude to is the likely outcome: A goat track worn from the more ambitious wandering from sensitive union positions to management positions, having pinky sworn they were there for the members.
Other unions have negotiated this duality, using a variety of mechanism, including contract to ensure, not hope, that those who purport to act in the member's interest actually do so. If a union's executive is so difficult to 'ring fence' with a contractual undertaking how come other unions have no difficulty in ensuring that what one is privileged with in one arena, does not leak to the other?
It is neither complicated to enact nor enforce. That an association chooses not to is ultimately a decision of the organisation, however it is disingenuous and incorrect to say it cannot be done nor enforced. Perhaps it is time that pilots stopped holding offices such that any deference to the employer, or pursuit of a corporate career, is not at the expense of fee paying members.
I agree, the issues are related and not mutually exclusive. I believe that is what I stated.

Regarding who does someone give account to, it depends on the nature of the obligation. Committee members have obligations to members as a result of them being on the committee, and they also have obligations as employees. Generally these do not conflict in a way that makes either role unworkable. There are also some protections that allow these roles to be separated to some degree. Where I do see a conflict of obligations and interest is if someone were to be both a committee member and in a management role at the same time.

Regarding your statements about other unions have 'negotiated this duality', it is difficult to give an opinion without you providing some specific examples.

Last edited by theheadmaster; 21st Dec 2018 at 21:22.